This was actually really fun, but a few words of caution. Make sure to let each layer of paint dry in between coats. Try to keep dust and debris to a minimal. Do not step on it in between steps, this may be really hard for kitchen areas. We closed this powder room off for an entire week. I kept the same pair of socks on the bathroom counter and only wore those socks when I was working (it sounds hard, but it really wasn't, you know I don't do difficult DIY's).
Scroll to the bottom if you just want to see the awesome before and afters! I also have a supplies list there too.
Step 1: Clean. Re-Clean. Then Clean again. You get the point. I did not use harsh chemicals because I did not want any residue left behind. I scrubbed the entire floor with hot soapy water and a scrub pad (I used whatever dish soap I had on hand). Then I re-cleaned it with a microfiber cloth. Repeat. I then dried it with another dry micro fiber cloth.
The floor wasn't sealed properly, so it always looked dirty! No matter what I tried, it would look nice for a day or so then turn brown again. It also cracked so I filled in what I could with a tile repair kit on Amazon. Not great, but it did a decent job,
Step 2: PRIME!!!!! This is literally the most important step! It is how the rest of the paint will adhere to the tile. I used Stix because it is amazing (and that is what the guys at Hartville Hardware told me to use)!
Make sure to let the primer dry over night. I did 24 hours. It already looks way better!
Step 3: Apply your base coat. I chose Benjamin Moore's Steam. It is a soft white, plus it's what I used on my walls. I did 3 coats (let dry in between coats).
Step 3: Tape first section off and then paint 2 coats of the dark squares. I chose Benjamin Moore's Deep River because it is a "black" with green undertones. I didn't want it to be too harsh. I had to make my own squares since my tile was rectangle to begin with. Also, don't buy crap tape. I listed mine at the bottom.
Make sure to let it fully dry in between coats. (Can you tell this is an important step?)
Step 4: Take off existing tape and re-tape other squares in opposite rows. Paint 2 coats
Step 5: Remove tape. You may need touch ups. I did in some areas where I did not press the tape down hard enough.
I used an 2 inch angled brush to smooth out the lines. That was my favorite part...
Now for the last step, the top coat. I am not going to lie, I was freaking out inside. I was worried that the matte Poly would make the black paint look cloudy. NOT AT ALL. Obviously, I have not used the right Poly in the past. General Finishes Flat High Performance Water based topcoat was a DREAM!!! (Link at the bottom). I applied 2 coats with small foam roller.
This is when it is still wet. You can barely see the crack now that it has dried.
I will say it has been over 2 weeks since I finished the floor, we have lived on it like normal, and I am OBSESSED with it!! It is warmer than before and so easy to clean! I use my little Miele Vacuum on it and mop as I normally did. I will check back in 6 months and give you an update.
Below is the supplies list, then the Before and Afters!
Benjamin Moore's Regal Select Paint: Steam (white) and Deep River (Black). https://www.hartvillehardware.com/product/sku-57876/Regal-Select-Acrylic
Wooster 2 Inch Angled Brush: https://www.hartvillehardware.com/product/sku-790743/Synthetic-Bristle-Brushes
NOW the Before and Afters!! EEK!
We kept the same vanity, mirror, light fixture and even the decor! It's crazy how it feels like a completely different room!
Please feel free to comment with your questions!! There is also I lot more video's on my Instagram and Facebook Pages.